MOWDEN PARK held their nerve to edge out Plymouth Albion 33-31, in a spectacular game at the Northern Echo Arena.

They moved into second spot in the National One table after securing victory at the death.

Director of Rugby Danny Brown beamed: “It was great to see a reaction from the players following last week’s defeat at Blackheath, and the response to the work we targeted during the week.

“There was certainly a lot of heart to see that one through at the end and the players deserve all the plaudits. Plymouth are a very good side and we had to work hard to break them down and be patient. We know there are still bits to work on but for now it’s a massive well done to the lads”.

The hosts broke the deadlock inside the first 10 minutes, as fly half Brett Connon found brother Grant whose sharp line through the Albion defence saw him race away from 22m out.

Plymouth hit back with three tries in 10 minutes.

Harvey Skinner crossed first after pressure from fellow centre Seta Raumakita, before Albion fly half Dan Mugford powered over from ten meters. Mugford converted and when Robert Freestone dotted down from a driving maul, Plymouth were ahead by ten points.

DMP scored next through winger Shaun McCartney and Mowden went into half time three points short.

Adam Radwan’s speed and footwork exploited a gap in the Plymouth defence, with the ball eventually finding its way to Ollie Hodgson who broke two tackles and powered over the line.

Connon converted and number eight Hodgson extended the home side’s lead. Substitute Simon Uzokwe stayed on his feet breaking through tackles, before finding Talite Vaioleti who followed suit.

The ball found its way to McCartney on the outside who fed Hodgson, and he dotted down for his second try in three minutes for a nine-point lead.

Plymouth hit back through Eoghan Grace, and soon went ahead with a try from substitute John Kelly.

As the clock ticked down, the hosts moved from their own five meter line up to the Plymouth 22.

The visitors were yellow carded for killing the ball and outside centre Ben Frankland found a gap to score the try and level the scores.

Brett Connon held his nerve to slot over the posts.

Mowden Park Sharks notched up their first win of the Premier 15s season with a 16-10 victory over Loughborough Lightning.